Saturday, July 19, 2008

foods I grew up with...

as luck would have it, I had the best meal since I've been in brazil in lindoia @ a roadside restaurant. the name pururuca is the name of the pork once it is cooked and the whole pig is deep fried. the restaurant also had homemade potato chips like I grew up with. well, i didn't really grow up with the deep fried pork, but it was cooked in vinegar which reminded me of my family's traditional christmas eve meal. Brida was my family's house keeper/nanny/3rd grandmother growing up (btw.. she's still there) - so I was right at home with this comfort food.

now for foods that I didn't grow up with... I went to a churrascaria this week. fogo de chao popularized the idea in the states. the concept is the same, but the meat is better here. typical meats such as picanha are served, but I also tried chicken hearts and a variation of the world's largest rodent (the capybara) which was kinda spicy but tasty.

No comments: