Friday, July 18, 2008

portuguese classes - or lack thereof

it was great to get away from campinas for a bit.. and to see how some of the rest of the country lives (since I had a couple of slight episodes the past few weeks -- no returned e-mails from language classes, not able to retrieve laundry from lavandaria, no money due to lack of international ATMs, etc. etc. etc.).

actually, one morning i awoke early in hopes to start with yet another portuguese language course. as with everything else that week, not only did I wake early and walk 30 minutes to arrive @ 7 a.m. (nothing like the first day of school!), but the center was closed. the definition of irony is to arrive @ a language center to find the door locked and only the cleaning service there (who speak only portuguese). In my broken portuguese I was able to decipher that my contact there was coming in -- but not until 9:30.

I have picked up some random words here and there (my colleagues say I'm doing good), but I've got a long way to go -- and a short time to get there.

No comments: